Fallout 4 0.283 ENBoost

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: Fallout 4 0.283 ENBoost

I almost forgot, I did want to ask your thoughts/opinion on this: The sky box has a dithering overlay, probably to prevent color banding, but it has specific colors defined, so if one darkens the night sky, you end up with a bright pattern that flickers on top of it as you move around.

I've looked through the archives to see if this is a texture asset used, but so far can't find anything. Until I can open the skybox mesh/NIF I can't say for sure if it's a texture, but am wondering if this is instead a real-time effect applied to the skybox. Is there any way to check? And if so, disable it? I would rather have consistent control over the sky colors and deal with color banding (the dithering barely helps anyway, there is still a lot of banding.)

Here's a sharpened screenshot to make it more visible, apologies if it's too dark.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not looked in to sky shader yet, but for sure dithering is in there. Disabling it is a bad idea, quality will be much worse than sky in Skyrim without ENBSeries, because hdr texture used for drawing it have lower precision than bFloatingPointRenderTarget=1 in Skyrim. Changing pattern to mine may help or blurring a little sky area when hdr to ldr image is converted, i'll try to not forget that.

ENBSeries wrote:Not looked in to sky shader yet, but for sure dithering is in there. Disabling it is a bad idea, quality will be much worse than sky in Skyrim without ENBSeries, because hdr texture used for drawing it have lower precision than bFloatingPointRenderTarget=1 in Skyrim. Changing pattern to mine may help or blurring a little sky area when hdr to ldr image is converted, i'll try to not forget that.
Thank you for the details! I don't mind the dithering itself, just hoping for a way to alter the colors in the patterns so they will match darker night skies, for example. It'll be hard to make any significant weather changes without being able to edit these.

Anyhow, thank you again!

FiftyTifty wrote:Seems to work just as fine as the previous version.

And holy hell, what's with all the draw calls? Getting 23fps & 6,200 draw calls overlooking Diamond City.

...Agh. Found the culrpit; shadows. Reduced the shadow distances from 8000 to 1000, draw calls went down to 3,600. More draw calls than I get in Skyrim, overlooking Whiterun with shadow distance at 8000 (~3,200 draw calls) :?
Boris wrote:19 november 2015
Frequently Fallout 4 players asking how to improve performance in the cities. The answer is simple - reduce drawing distance of shadows, because game have bottleneck of draw calls count and in some camera directions i've seen more than 12000 draw calls. Overclocking CPU helps a little with this, but only for Intel users, for AMD it's not scales well.
So, 6,200 draw calls is already bad, and 12,000 is extremely bad, but you know what? I wish this scene was only getting 6K or 12K draw calls...

I mean holy shit...

Reducing shadow distance from 10000, used above, to 5000 gives me this:

When the draw calls drop to ~6000 is when I start getting 50-60 fps.

This game needs a serious patch for city areas...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Omfg!

*sensei*

@ MrT800
That's insane o_O
can I ask what are your scecs?

*sensei*

@MrT800, must be quite the rig you got there, i get 10-20 fps with 15000 drawcalls, i must tweak it to be 5000 in the heaviest scenes to be able to play smooth.
Last edited by Marcurios on 19 Nov 2015, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

*sensei*

How in the world did they manage to make shadows so fps hungry? I mean, GTA 5 with the shadows on absolute maximum managed not to SLAY fps, while shadows in Fallout take most of fps even an medium shadow distance! Ive installed headlamp mod which enables directional shadows from it and sometimes it kills fps, game displays like 7-10 fps inside the buildings. But interior shadows do not look better than the ones in STALKER which was released 8 YEARS AGO!

*sensei*

dpeasant wrote:How in the world did they manage to make shadows so fps hungry? I mean, GTA 5 with the shadows on absolute maximum managed not to SLAY fps, while shadows in Fallout take most of fps even an medium shadow distance! Ive installed headlamp mod which enables directional shadows from it and sometimes it kills fps, game displays like 7-10 fps inside the buildings. But interior shadows do not look better than the ones in STALKER which was released 8 YEARS AGO!
Because Bethesda programmers suck, that's why. There's no logical explanation of this shit at all.

just a test with stock ultra settings. For the sake of experiment - didn't change shadows and enb is off

*sensei*

They must have known this, would have been smart to set the shadow distance dynamically depending on the amount of drawcalls on specific cpu's, if that's even possible.