TES Skyrim 0.217

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: TES Skyrim 0.217

Boris,

The updated version fixed it. Thank you sir! ;)

*master*

CruNcher wrote:
GArfink wrote:
SiSaSyco wrote:
CruNcher wrote:I still try to find out what causes these ENB load savegame instabilities (direct CTD after Save state is loaded and about to get displayed)
i don't understand this random behavior and it's pattern especially if this once happened and i free the system memory state by closing applications it doesn't fix that once unstable the chance to get it stable again is very small without interfering in some way :(

It's mostly like that it's super stable and i test stuff then i change some texture to test it load the save the save CTDs then i rechange the texture mostly these changes are between compressed and uncompressed and then load the savegame again and it CTDs again and doesn't get stable anymore :(

Once iam in this unstable ENB load savegame CTD state a fix that most times works is i disable the ENB hook completely start the game without ENB and load the savegame most of the times the savegame then doesn't CTD and loads successful :)

Then after the Savegame got loaded successful without ENB the chance that the System is stable again is very high and then i enable the ENB hook again and load the savegame and it doesn't CTD most of the times then anymore with ENB after one time successful load without ENB :)
I guess I have got this problem, too. I did not link it to ENB or changing textures untill now. I m currently frequently modifying my skin textures and/or body meshes. I allways get this "ctd after loading" after some time since a week or two. I didnt found any solution for it, only the fact that skyrim runs great when starting the pc and running skyrim without changing anything. Now, after reading Cruncher's post I realise that I m changing textures very often in the past week and that this could definetly be the same problem. But I m not changing the compression or even format of the textures. I m just changing the brightness of the specular-texture for example and save it again. I m using a heavy modded Skyrim (200+ Mods) but with the new ENB with memory management it was running without problems - but now I m getting this "ctd after loading" very often. At least its good to see that I m not the only one with this problem ...
Allow me to direct you to my thread on the step forums, I've solved all my ctd after loading problems, intermittent freezes in-game problems, loading save game problems. With my no-tolerance for crashes policy (none of this: "...your game is considered stable if it only crashes once every hour" bullshit), I have found the only way to eliminate "all" crashes in my game, I also have a large & complex load order and I've found that even with ENBoost, we are still limited by game engine. The moment I add a few "essential" gameplay mods to my load order, stability go out the window. With just 2K-4K texture mods with no gameplay mods running, I can run the game (even at uGrid 7) with no problems just like people described here, but the moment you add mods (lots of scripting mods) to the game become unstable again despite ENBoost. So the problem isn't with ENBoost at all, never has been, ENB is smooth as silk really and its various settings option means that you can run the game on many more different systems, but it isn't the magic elixir that will fix all your crashes.

(remember also that some "map" ini adjustments will cause your game not to load as well. I've never used the save cleaner either, your savegame won't load, especially if its a relative new game <lvl 30, because of other reasons and not because of a corrupted saved game usually.)

Go to here: http://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=3319
Garfink yeah i use several Papyrus stuff and i really think it's a random memory clash between script mods and ENB on the system memory part, i have no other explanation for this behaviour especialy that the loading works and everything becomes stable after 1 time loading the save without ENB.

It's much better to test Script Mods especially with ENB @○ the same time on stability issues before giving them green light in your load order :)

PS: Boris you can be really proud
ENB Penetration is getting measurably higher on the Nexus, sooner or later no modder will have a chance to escape ENB optimization ;)
Are all these saves that you are testing menu saves, and not autosaves? Scripting doesn't pause ingame during autosaves, this can corrupt an autosave, if I understand it correctly.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

MOTOSXORPIO
Scripting doesn't pause ingame during autosaves, this can corrupt an autosave, if I understand it correctly.
Exactly!

Folks, i don't know if subsurface scattering required, but at least i need to solve one issue with it - corrupted textures of sss by mods. Each body mod add own textures, but in most cases they are bad, not fit on hands or neck, other replacers may not have this texture. For vanilla human characters it's mostly pinky-peachy color with red on fingers, represent intensity and color of sss effect (vanilla sss is very ugly). Becase game is heavily modded, i can't use this texture for intensity and color of sss, will be too much noticable errors, for example with my current character, body have this map (brown by some reason), but head have it black color, so sss will not work on head. Instead, i can use diffuse texture, increase it color saturation to simulate light passed in blood. This is bad approximation, but on practice looks better than unchanged color of diffuse texture. What i mean is for example THIS COLOR transformed to THIS COLOR. What should i do?

*master*

ENBSeries wrote:MOTOSXORPIO
Scripting doesn't pause ingame during autosaves, this can corrupt an autosave, if I understand it correctly.
Exactly!

Folks, i don't know if subsurface scattering required, but at least i need to solve one issue with it - corrupted textures of sss by mods. Each body mod add own textures, but in most cases they are bad, not fit on hands or neck, other replacers may not have this texture. For vanilla human characters it's mostly pinky-peachy color with red on fingers, represent intensity and color of sss effect (vanilla sss is very ugly). Becase game is heavily modded, i can't use this texture for intensity and color of sss, will be too much noticable errors, for example with my current character, body have this map (brown by some reason), but head have it black color, so sss will not work on head. Instead, i can use diffuse texture, increase it color saturation to simulate light passed in blood. This is bad approximation, but on practice looks better than unchanged color of diffuse texture. What i mean is for example THIS COLOR transformed to THIS COLOR. What should i do?
Have someone create custom _sk.dds for this? This might even produce a fix for "bronze skin lighting" effect that some body mods create.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

ENBSeries wrote:MOTOSXORPIO
Exactly!

That's a picky situation we in now that could be changing a lot for the future, basically no one creates a Subsurface map and that Ugly Bronze shine approach is totally flawed http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29791/ (the black square you see as _sk map)

See Kristas very good analyzing of the current situation

http://www.enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/v ... =18&t=2224

Only her Lady Body would currently in some way most probably benefit from a Subsurface Map _sk approach

The only one who did some better research on it for UNP is MrTroublemaker but his approach is based on Bethesdas Map, and it seems Krista took that as well apart i think Maevan (Mature Skin) uses it and she laughed about it ;)

SG Female Skin uses another Subsurface map that looks a little better

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30050/

Though you should read the Conversation with Krista you also gonna understand her better in your native language, but what is shown there is the current status of mostly every Skin mod currently, either you get a black square or a fleshy square or a modified sss map from bethesda and only 1 unique sss map. :)

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

SSS is totally necesary, I would even say that at many light conditions it is crucial, the problem is that modders don't use it, for females there are some maps avaible that works really good but there are none for males, only the black and dark brown squares which doesn't fix anything, they just kill the effect.

These are some experimental ones that I was working at, they are made with a pale pink as base with a quite intense one at the hot areas and seams, the green hues for the veins are made at this map too. They are not finished and as I said they are quite experimental, but if you want to take a look at them, allow me to send you PMs/links and I'll drop it in your inbox.

*master*

Hi guys. Sorry to post this here, but I thought I would bring up one more stability issue. (I know that is what most of the previous recent releases have all been for, but I think this one is important.)

I have recently, finally, gotten a stable Skyrim config (LOTS of high res textures, a number of game immersion mods, and a variety of quest and follower mods) with the most wonderful (and stunningly beautiful!!!) K ENB Extensive running. I took a long break from Skyrim until earlier this year, then took another short break after having a lot of problems getting ENB working well with high res textures. Finally upgraded my system, overclocked the hell out of it, and with the superb new 0.21x versions of ENB from Boris (which I am EXTREMELY THANKFUL FOR!! You are a true wizard!!), things are running very smoothly.

There is one thing I have noticed, however, that I was wondering if Boris may be able to fix. For the bulk of this week, throughout all of the recent 0.21x ENB revisions, I've been experiencing growing load screen lag. I thought at first that it was ILS, however I started to just leave it, and learned that sometimes it could take 5, 10, in one case over 30 *minutes* to load. I'd noticed that more often than not (almost all of the time, in fact), the ENB setting to disable enb while in the loading screen, while set to true...did not actually take effect. Most of the time, the loading scree would be rendered with the ENB enabled. It was only a happy accident that I learned only a few hours ago that if I manually disable the ENB (Shift-F12) before changing zones, the transitions were ALL almost instantaneous. The vast majority of transitions took less than a second. Some, particularly when I'd entered a new area I had not visited for a long while, or never visited, transitions might take up to 10 seconds. For the last several hours, I've diligently disabled the ENB before EVERY zone transition (entering/exiting any building, dungeon, or city)...and 100% of the time the transitions were fast.

In the last hour, I did further experimentation, alternating between disabling the ENB, and leaving it enabled. Whenever the ENB was enabled, transitions took longer. I usually get about 30-45fps with a tweaked version of Kyo's Extensive Q setting (I've disabled SMAA), however in the loading screen, FPS always seems to be around 18-20fps with the ENB on. All transitions with the ENB on took forever, usually more than a minute, often around 3-5 minutes. One took over 10 minutes. All of the transitions with the ENB disabled took less than 30 seconds, most within 1 second. I noticed that when ENB actually did disable the ENB automatically during a transition (which appeared the same as if I disabled it myself), the transitions usually took about 15-40 seconds (so still not as fast as if I disabled ENB myself before even initiating a transition.) When the ENB is not active on the loading screen, FPS was always 29.8-30.1fps.

I thought I remembered reading something quite some time ago about how frame rate played a roll in infinite loading screen. Today was the first time I actually saw concrete and consistent evidence to that fact. Frame rate does indeed play a CRITICAL role in infinite loading screen...it seems if frame rate is less than 30fps, you get either extremely long loading screens (and, for most people, a loading screen longer than a couple minutes probably qualifies as "infinite"), or actual infinite loading screens (i.e. letting it sit overnight doesn't improve anything.) It seems that the setting to automatically disable the ENB on the loading screen is broken in some way, as it rarely works, and even when it does, if usually does a couple seconds late (after the loading screen has already appeared with the ENB active.)

Is there a way that ENB could be disabled the moment a transition is triggered (while still in the game, before the loading screen appears), and only enabled after landing back in the game world after the loading screen? Or, if that is not possible, would it be possible to fix the existing flag to disable ENB on the loading screen, and make sure it doesn't momentarily activate in the first few seconds the loading screen is shown?

For reference, here is my system config:

Core i7 920 @ 4.35Ghz
GSkill DDR3 1600 @ 1660Mhz (12Gb)
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb FTW x2 (SLI)
OCZ SSD 128Gb w/ Pagefile.sys (seems to help transitions to have page file on a low latency drive)

I play the game at 2560x1600, usually with a frame rate averaging 32fps (interiors are often around 45, some exteriors drop as low as 20).

Again, sorry for dropping this in the 0.217 thread...I know Boris has said he is moving on to graphics stuff again. I think this transition issue is fairly critical from a playability standpoint (I am primarily interested in playing the game with more immersion and stunning graphics than anything else. I am not much of a screenarcher...my SLI 760's just can't quite handle it, and my screen doesn't seem to allow OGSSAA, and can't handle MSAA+SASSAA at anything above around 5-8fps :P).

On a similar note...as I know Boris was asking about this before. With the latest ENBs, 0.212, 0.214, 0.215, and 0.217...I seem to lock up on the main path to Falkreath. I have played for hours around Whiterun, Riverwood, Helgen, and now Windhelm, and the only issue I've ever encountered was the Extremely Long Loading Screen (ELLS, lets just pronounce it "eels" :P). However, without fail, while an ENB is running, I lock up around Falkreath...usually around this one particular area about half way between the lake and the town, along the path (I think there may be some ancient ruin and a crumbling fort nearby). I'll have to do more extensive testing to be sure it is ENB, but I've locked up 100% of the time with ENB enabled so far.
Last edited by jrista on 11 Sep 2013, 20:54, edited 3 times in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

namaste911 wrote:SSS is totally necesary, I would even say that at many light conditions it is crucial, the problem is that modders don't use it, for females there are some maps avaible that works really good but there are none for males, only the black and dark brown squares which doesn't fix anything, they just kill the effect.

These are some experimental ones that I was working at, they are made with a pale pink as base with a quite intense one at the hot areas and seams, the green hues for the veins are made at this map too. They are not finished and as I said they are quite experimental, but if you want to take a look at them, allow me to send you PMs/links and I'll drop it in your inbox.
Nice work so far, though i guess you overdrive the SSS parameters on purpose here ? it looks like a major sunburn on scale 3 ;)

And please show me the good SSS maps for females :)
Last edited by CruNcher on 11 Sep 2013, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

namaste911
I'll better bypass all sss maps if situation is so bad. Less headache for me because of "bug" reports.

jrista
Longer loading screens is known issue of game and it happen when fps lower or higher than 30. Can't do anything, parameter to ignore loading screen is already exist, but it not work in all cases, i can't determine for sure if it's loading screen or not (at least when did it).
Infinite loading screens are not long loading screens because of fps, freezes and infinite loading screens have the same nature of deadlocks, there is nothing to fix, it's very complex to bother without sources.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@ Boris
hmm i dunno disabling it completely for everything ?
You could disable it by default but leave those the option that want to use it and experiment and improve on it :)

I guess for improving results of your sss you could use Lady Body and it's _sk map as reference for now :)