TES Skyrim 0.251

Forum rules
new topics are not allowed in this subsection, only replies.
  • Author

Re: TES Skyrim 0.251

Boris is leveling his Chocobo Mage.

*sensei*

If the SKSE guy who started this wanted to destabilize Skyrim and blame ENB, he got his prize.

I got curious, so I tried the latest ENB binary. My Skyrim is moderately texture modded with only Bethesda Hires pack and 60 mods. I have ENB compression on and ENB reduceMemUsage enabled, and I also have the iGrassCellRadius configured recommended from http://enbdev.com/ctdfix.html. I was able to run around in Riften and Whiterun without issue. Both TESV.exe and enbhost.exe kept below 1GB usage, so total of 2GB usage.

One odd thing I noticed with memX64 disabled is the initial few seconds after a game load no longer has stutter when I pan the camera.

I think Boris allowed someone on this forum to host all previous ENB binary files as long as not on Nexus.
OrganicENB SE
OrganicENB LE

*master*

Guys.. THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE new Beta Test starts today :D who's playin' 8-)?

Whenever a release has the word Alpha in its filename means it's not yet final, not stable, and should be downloaded and used only by those who do professional volunteer QA for the devs with detailed feedback. Unfortunately some people grabbed SKSE 1.7a without knowing this fact.

BTW, I made a habit of adding a letter for every small revision Boris have made to the binaries.

I got curious, so I tried the latest ENB binary. My Skyrim is moderately texture modded with only Bethesda Hires pack and 60 mods. I have ENB compression on and ENB reduceMemUsage enabled, and I also have the iGrassCellRadius configured recommended from http://enbdev.com/ctdfix.html. I was able to run around in Riften and Whiterun without issue. Both TESV.exe and enbhost.exe kept below 1GB usage, so total of 2GB usage.

One odd thing I noticed with memX64 disabled is the initial few seconds after a game load no longer has stutter when I pan the camera.
I can back this find up. I saw someone on the step forum once talking about ENBoost and NOT using Expandsystemmemoryx64 ..

He had tried on three different machines ( I am pretty sure they were 2 64 bit, and one 32 bit OS, with varying capabilities ) and seemed to know the ins and outs of using those machines very well

He was looking for advice on some conflicting information reference things to try if experiencing stutter ..

Anyway long story - I tried what he suggested, ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false

And tried the test of standing in the middle of Riften market, and spin around 360 with your mouse

Before with ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true - Stutter
After with ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false - Smooth

I have not used ExpandSystemMemoryX64 since then and I always have good performance compaired with the dark days before ENBoost.

I have x64 bit win 7 with 4gb ram, so personally I dont see what the fuss is over this setting, even Boris says "when memory manager enabled, it almost useless."

And he must have had a good reason to remove it besides blaming this one person - Considering it had an off switch anyway, and the conflicting software is only an alpha.

Someone else ( Keithinhanoi ) posted earlier a very nice description of what this feature did, and I get the same impression that there has been a lot of misunderstanding about what the setting actually did .. Maybe some of you need to look at another setting which is causing your system problems without also relying on ExpandSystemMemoryX64 ?

Edit : One more thing to note, Boris description on things to try when experiencing stutter ..
3) If stuttering bother too much, edit enblocal.ini file vriables ExpandSystemMemoryX64, ReduceSystemMemoryUsage(especially this one), DisableDriverMemoryManager.
IMHO it should read ExpandSystemMemoryx64(especially this one)
I mean ( correct me if I am wrong ) but ReduceSystemMemoryUsage = ENBoost / enbhost.exe = Setting this false would be even less desireable.

ofc all of this is going to be subjective depending on your hardware.

But dont dismiss Boris latest change too soon is what I am saying.

*sensei*

Furball: Do keep in mind that you are testing on a system that use 4Gb of memory.

With that low an amount then you would not notice any change over using a 32bit system since you simply do not have enough memory for it to make a difference. Hence what you describe makes perfect sense... ofc you would get stuttering etc. by activating it since you do not have enough memory overall, hence you need to read/write to page file which is really slow and causes stuttering.

The fuss is for people with 8Gb+ who run with alot of high res textures. These people have run with no issues on the setting, but now without it then they get CTD and ILS again. Hence it is clear that the parameter is useful for a large part of the user base.

Here and on the STEP forums and whereever else I have read, then it is really a vast minority of people who have had issues with the SKSE alpha version, or Shesons patch. Hence it stands to reason that it is not a general flaw in the code, but rather something specific to those peoples setup´s and/or hardware choices. Since using many high res textures will tax your entire machine and not just the GPU then all it takes for some stuttering or direct CTD is a semi bad memory stick that was not designed for that sort of data load.

Oh .. texture abuse :), I understand the need for it then.

Well going forward I think people will just have to measure better how much they are overloading with textures instead, if Boris does not bring the feature back.

Forgot to say < for anyone interested, I know Boris said he was interested in the technology earlier so may not have seen this > I am using a different method of Shesom memory fix aswell as ENBoost

I do not have SKSE installed so using :
SSME by Queued instead
( Just the ini as it is without any edits )

Works really well with ENB in my experience ( But I have never used ExpandSystemMemoryX64 so your mileage may vary ).

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Saberus wrote:Guys.. THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE new Beta Test starts today :D who's playin' 8-)?
off-topic: I'll be on there at least some (I got kind of a full weekend so it's a bad weekend for a beta for me). If you or anyone else wanna find me, I use the same account name there, Jafin16. Just send me a whisper in game telling me who you are :) Heck, I'll make a beta guild for ENBdev folks if anyone cares :)

*master*

Furball wrote:Considering it had an off switch anyway...
Well, everything in ENB is optional, i.e. has off switches, so that says precisely nothing.